New Page 2
Want to become a referee?
If you are interested in become a referee for Chelmsford Youth Soccer (CYSA) you must meet the following requirements:
1) You are at least 12 years old (to referee CYSA U8 and/or U10 Intramural matches)
2) You are at least 14 years old (to referee CYSA U10, U12 and U14 MYSL Travel matches)
3) Have a basic understanding of the Laws of the Game
4) Are willing to undergo the required training and maintain your certification each year
The following three steps are required to be eligible to referee for CYSA:
1) For 12 & 13 year olds: Take the CYSA Developmental Referee seminar (offered by CYSA)
2) For 14 year olds: Take the Grade-8 entry level referee certification course with the Massachusetts State Referee Committee (MSRC - www.massref.net)
3) After completing the appropriate certification, register to be added to the Chelmsford referee pool with the CYSA Referee Director (email@example.com)
4) Obtain a referee uniform
Taking the CYSA Developmental Referee seminar (must be 12 yrs old by 1-April and younger than 14 as of 29-Apr):
This program is for CYSA registered U12 and U14 players that meet the age requirements above and want to learn refereeing. CYSA offers this seminar in late winter before the spring season. The candidates that pass will be put in a pool of CYSA Developmental Referees and mentored as they learn refereeing through participation in CYSA Intramural U8 and U10 matches during the spring and/or fall seasons. A notice asking for interested candidates will be sent by the CYSA Referee Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the CYSA registered U12 and U14 players during winter, and the seminar will be filled on a first-come / first-served basis. The number of candidates that can be accommodated is limited.
Take a referee certification course with MSRC (must be 14 yrs old by 30-April):
Referees who are assigned MYSL Travel matches by Chelmsford Youth Soccer are certified by the Massachusetts State Referee Committee (MSRC). MSRC certification is a requirement to referee for any youth soccer organization / league that is registered and insured through Massachusetts Youth Soccer. To certify go to the MSRC website at www.massref.net and register for a grade 8 certification course. Grade 8 referees are 14 years old and older. A couple of important points about MSRC courses:
1) The courses are offered in winter (December to March) and again during summer (July to August)
2) Courses fill up quickly, so plan ahead to find the course location and date that works best for you
3) Certification is good for one year (Dec-March certifications cover the spring & fall seasons, and July-Aug certifications cover the fall and following spring seasons)
4) Upon completion you will receive a patch from USSF with your grade and year of certification
Register with the CYSA Referee Director:
After you complete the CYSA Developmental Referee program you will automatically be registered with the CYSA Referee Director as a Developmental Referee.
After you complete the MSRC / USSF Grade-8 certification you should register as a Chelmsford referee by emailing the CYSA Referee Director at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide the referee director with the following information:
3) Date of MSRC Course (completed or planned date of course)
4) Email address
5) Phone Number
After completing the appropriate certification (based on your age), and registering with the CYSA Referee Director, you will be added to the CYSA referee database. You will then receive important CYSA referee news along with emails asking for your availability to work matches during the season.
Obtain a uniform:
The uniform is an important part of your tool kit when working as a referee for CYSA. The uniform requirements for Grade-8 referees assigned to MYSL Travel matches consists of a yellow referee shirt, black shorts, referee socks (black, to the knee, with three white stripes), a whistle and a watch with stopwatch function. Hand-held stop watches (in hand, or worn around the neck), cell phones, ipods, ipads are not acceptable time keeping devices. Uniforms can be obtained any many local sporting good stores such as Soccer Stuff in Acton. There are also many online sites to purchase a uniform.
The referee uniform requirements for CYSA Developmental Referees is a CYSA Intramural Referee shirt (provided by CYSA), black shorts, referee socks (black, to the knee, with 3 white stripes), a whistle and watch with stopwatch function. Hand-held stop watches (in hand, or worn around the neck), cell phones, ipods, ipads are not acceptable time keeping devices.
CYSA Developmental Referees will receive mentoring as they referee U8 Intramural matches, and will move up to U10 Intramural matches at the decision of the Referee Director based on successfully completing U8 assignments.
New Grade 8 referees will work with the CYSA Referee Director to determine the appropriate competition level to begin their referee career.
For more information about securing Chelmsford match referee assignments, please see the tab called MATCH ASSIGNMENTS